Sunday, March 29, 2015

Impressions of Week 8

    In this week, we had some very exciting things going on, such as the heart-pounding race to finish assignment 2 before 10:00 pm on Thursday and an unguided session of wracking our brains over lab #7. While it does feel nice to not go to labs, it's starting to take its toll. This class is starting to feel more and more like my high school programming class which went something like this: "Here's your assignment, now go teach yourself how to code!" Not that I had a problem with this in high school, but perhaps CSC148 material isn't that easy to figure out on your own. 

    Assignment 2 was pretty straightforward in terms of making the Tippy game, and so far it's the closest we've come to actually making graphics for a game, if you can call the grid made out of text 'graphics.' My grids looked something like this:

  0  1  2  3  
0 /  /  /  /  
1 /  /  x  /  
2 o  o  o  /  
3 /  /  /  x  


    I'd say my greatest accomplishment was to add numbers to indicate columns and rows, so the player doesn't have to count for himself like some sort of peasant. 

    As for the Minimax strategy, I'm pretty sure it works but I don't remember how I completed it or how it works, that memory is suppressed until I'll probably need it in assignment 3. 

Mandatory Acknowledgement of Other Slogs

http://initializationcomplete.blogspot.ca/
When I first looked at this SLOG, I was blown away. The style of writing, the comprehensive understanding this student displays of CSC148 content, it's almost perfect! The only possible flaw I could find here is that there isn't a single post, but surely that's only a small imperfection. 

http://thecstists.blogspot.ca/
One of the great things about this SLOG is that this student actually talked about linked lists, unlike me, because I only talked about A2 in my week 8 post. Even better is that this student actually walks us through their learning process, starting with a concept they had difficulty understanding, and outlining how they figured out the problem. For example, they talked about how they couldn't quite comprehend how the 'append' method is implemented in a linked list, and goes through the steps of how they finally understood it.

No comments:

Post a Comment